Shigmo, holi festivities are just around the corner .Goans are all set to celebrate the festival of colours and unrestrained joy!
Safe way to play holi is by using natural colours. Natural colours made out of organic ingredients and herbal or vegetable dyes and are considered safe.
By and large the colours available in the market today are made from highly toxic chemical substances. These colours are also adulterated with glass powder, engine oil, diesel etc. Playing with toxic industrial dyes often results in various skin and hair complaints in a significant number of people immediately following the celebration. Itching of the skin, burning, pain, oozing, and dryness of the scalp are common manifestations noticed. Nausea, headache, breathlessness, eye affections are also among other ailments.
The following tips can help you enjoy the festival of colours while protecting your skin & hair from allergies.
- Before playing colours apply a thin film of moisturiser or oil on the entire body including face. Prefer the oil with the low viscosity like sunflower oil.
- Wear clothes that can cover maximum part of your body.
- Use hats or caps to cover your hair.
- Use organic colours as they are less toxic to hair and skin.
- Try and use certified products.
- Take care of your eyes while playing holi. People wearing contact lens should take them off before playing with colours.
- Keep your eyes tightly shut when somebody sprays colours on you
- Use mild moisturising soaps and lukewarm water to remove colour from the skin.
- Do not use petrol, kerosene to remove colours from the skin as they cause skin irritation.
- Avoid rubbing skin with a hard or rough brush.
- Rinse off your hair with a mild shampoo and conditioner immediately after playing.
- Use mild moisturiser immediately after the shower to hydrate your skin.
Avoid playing with colours if you are pregnant
It is best not to put any colours on babies younger than six months because of their delicate skin and immature immune system. Wishing you all a happy and safe gulal!!