What is Seborrhoeic Dermatitis?
The red, itchy rash on the scalp which looks like flakes or scales is called as seborrhoeic dermatitis.
It can also appear on the other areas of the body which is only like face, upper chest, and back.
Symptoms of Seborrhoeic Dermatitis
- Skin flakes (dandruff) on your scalp, hair, eyebrows, beard or mustache
- Patches of greasy skin covered with flaky white or yellow scales or crust on the scalp, ears, face, chest, armpits, scrotum or other parts of the body
- Red skin
- Redness or crusting of the eyelids
Itching or stinging
Causes of Seborrhoeic Dermatitis
- A fungus called Malassezia which is normally present in the oily secretions of the body.
- Inflammation due to psoriasis
- Seasonal changes like episodes becoming worse during early winter or spring.
Diagnosis of Seborrhoeic Dermatitis
The scales can be scraped off and observed to see for various conditions like:
- Psoriasis: the scales will be present all over the body and they appear silvery white (shiny).
- Atopic eczema: this condition causes severe itching and swelling of the skin with a rash in the skin folds of elbows, behind the knees or on the front of the neck.
- Rosaceae: this condition causes redness with minimum scaling or no scaling especially on the face.
- Oil application on the scalp to soften the scales. Leave the oil for few minutes and then comb the hair and wash them to remove the loosened scales.
- Avoid using harsh soaps or shampoos to wash the hair.
- Wearing of smooth cotton clothing helps a lot.
- Gently clean the eyelids with water and do not use soaps.
- Avoid scratching as much as possible.
Homoeopathic Management of Seborrhoeic Dermatitis
Homoeopathic Medicines can treat both acute and chronic seborrheic dermatitis effectively. Helps to reduce the intensity and frequency of flare-up of seborrheic dermatitis and boost the self-healing mechanism of the body. Also, treats the flakes on the scalp and accompanying inflammation. , control the attending symptoms of itching and burning on the affected area.
- Seborrheic dermatitis with yellow scales
- The scales are sticky in nature, with a moist scalp.
- Itching heat
- Eczema; burning, itching, popular eruption.
- Ringworm of scalp or beard with abundant scales.
- Seborrheic dermatitis with white flakes on the scalp
- The hair may be, split ends and Hair Fall
- Baldness or hair fall along with dandruff.
- Patient exhausted and emaciated
- Seborrheic dermatitis with scales and intense itching.
- The scales reduce after washing but reappear.
- Offensive odor on the scalp may also be observed
- The scalp moist and humid.
- Matting together of the hair or falling of hair are also seen.
- The scales may also be present on the eyelid margins and behind the ears
- Seborrheic dermatitis with greasy skin
- oily scalp with redness and flakiness.
- The scalp is covered with white scarfs.
- Burning sensation on the scalp.
- The face is oily, with redness.
- Seborrheic dermatitis with flakiness and excessive hair fall
- The hair falls in bunches. In some cases, the hair may fall off in spots.
- Severe burning sensation on the scalp
- Seborrheic dermatitis with the foul smell from the scalp
- Rough and tangled Hair.
- Itchy and Scratchy Scalp heat of bed
- Scratch the scalp until it bleeds.
- Seborrheic dermatitis with an itchy scalp that burns
- The itching and burning worse at night.
- The scalp sensitive to the touch.
- The scalp is dry, rough, dirty looking and covered with dry scales.