What is Bronchitis?
Bronchitis is a respiratory disease in which the inner coating of the air tubes that carry the air to and from the lungs, is swollen.
The inner coating of the air tubes grows thicker when it is exposed to the causative factors like dust, smoke, etc. As the inner coating of the tubes becomes thick, the lumen of the tubes becomes narrow and gets irritated.
Due to the irritation of air passages, the patient to coughs and feels breathless as the air cannot pass in the tubes freely.
Types of Bronchitis
- Acute bronchitis: The symptoms of a cough, breathlessness and chest pain last for 1-3 weeks. The patient may also have a fever with or without chills.
- Chronic bronchitis: The symptoms of a severe cough, episodes of breathlessness with chest pain and fever last for at least 3 months of the year for 2 Yrs in a row.
Symptoms of Bronchitis
- A cough with sputum which can be clear, white, yellowish or green.
- Fever with chills
- Chest pain
Causes of Bronchitis
The most common cause of acute bronchitis that is the symptoms lasting for 1-3 weeks, is viral infections like influenza or the common cold.
- Air pollution with dust
- Toxic gases in the environment or at work.
- Weakened immune system due to certain diseases like HIV.
Diagnosis of Bronchitis
- Chest X-ray: to check if the patient has any other disease like pneumonia.
- Sputum tests: to check for any allergies or infections.
- Pulmonary function tests: which measures the amount of air lungs can hold and how quickly the air can move out from the lungs.
- Take proper rest.
- Avoiding the triggering factors like dust, fumes, smoke etc.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Stop smoking.
- Sudden violent onset
- Hoarse, dry croupy cough, short and hacking.
- <at night
- Can be given in very early stages of the disease.
- < exposure to cold air
- Hoarse dry croupy cough < at night
- Bursting headache every time he coughs
- A cough is < after a meal
- Stitching pain the chest while coughing.
- Holds the chest while coughing due to pain
- Little tenacious bloody mucus is raised.
- Hoarse voice, metallic hacking cough
- <in the evening
- Pain is felt more at the bifurcation of the trachea on coughing
- Thickly coated tongue and loathing of food.
- Acts on the pneumogastric nerve producing spasmodic irritation in the chest and stomach.
- A patient often coughs and suffocates with a coarse rattling.
- Nausea is a constant accompaniment
- Clean tongue with thirstless ness.
- Thick, bland and yellowish green discharges.
- open air
- Changeability of symptoms
- Cannot lie on the right side
- A cough with yellow mucopurulent sputum having paroxysms.
- At night and from the warmth of the bed
- Stitching pain in the right lobe of the lung radiating to the back.
- Air tubes are loaded with mucus
- Rapid, short cough with difficulty breathing to the point of suffocation.
- Dyspnoea > by eructation, lying on right side.
- < in rainy season, damp weather from water in any form
- Rattling in the chest in early morning (3-4 a.m.)
- A cough with ropy greenish expectoration.
- Old man’s remedy
- Rattling in the chest
- Chest oppressed on ascending
- Difficulty in raising the mucus
- < winter, damp foggy weather
- A cough and sputum become persistent once it starts and may even last for a year.
- Marked pulmonary hypertension may result and may lead to right sided heart failure.