What is Scabies?
Scabies is a very itchy skin condition caused by a mite which burrows into the skin causing severe itching. The name of this mite causing scabies is Sarcoptes scabies.
There is severe itching which becomes more at night with an intense desire to scratch.
Scabies is highly contagious spreads very easily from person to person.
Symptoms of Scabies
The typical presentation of scabies includes:
- Itching which is very severe and often increases at night.
- Burrows or small irregular tracks made up of tiny blisters or bumps on the skin especially in the spaces between the fingers. These burrows contain the mites or their eggs or feces.
- Scabies lesions can also be found on the elbows, nipples, armpits, knees, shoulder blades, buttocks, penis, heels etc.
Causes of Scabies
Scabies is basically caused by an itch mite called as Sarcoptes scabies. The female mite burrows into the skin and lays eggs beneath the skin. The eggs then hatch and the larvae of the mites travel upwards towards the surface of the skin. The larvae then mature and spread to other favorable areas of the skin causing severe itching.
The site can then transfer from one place of the body to another and infect multiple areas of the skin or it can also transfer from one person to another if he/she shares the towels, clothing, bed sheets, or any other infected objects used by the affected person.
Diagnosis of Scabies
The diagnosis is made by the characteristic symptoms of the disease which includes the presence of mites and the burrows. When the burrows are identified, a skin scraping of that area of the skin is taken and examined under a microscope. This examination can reveal the presence of itch mite or its eggs. This confirms the diagnosis of scabies.
- Avoid scratching as much as possible.
- Application of cold compresses and cold washing of the affected skin to soothe the discomfort caused due to scratching.
- Keep the skin clean and dry.
Homeopathic Treatment of Scabies
Homeopathic medicine will help to control the itching and help to control the severity and spread of the disease and help to cure condition without any side effects.
- Eruptions on bend of knees
- Dry or pustular eruptions
- Intense burning sensation
- Chilly patient
- Burning warmth
- Thirst sip by sip
- Mid day midnight aggravation
- Great Prostration
- Restlessness, Anxious, Fastidious
- recurrent maltreated, obstinate, suppressed cases of scabies.
- tingling & itching in finger joints
- around eyes
- Burning after scratching
- washing, bathing, the warmth of bed
- Standing is worst position
- Dirty filthy people prone to skin affections
- after a bath
- scabies are present on folds of skin, hands, and feet.
- pustular and crusty, oozing a foul, old cheese like discharge.
- Herpes after abuse of mercury
- Unhealthy skin with easy suppuration
- Oversensitive to cold
- Left side
- Acute neuralgic pain worse at night
- night, cold, touch
- damp weather, wrapping up warmly
- Offensive and sour body odor
- repeated history of scabies in the past or scabies are suppressed with the help of conventional medicine
- scabies appear in every winter and disappear in summer
- violent itching, worse by the warmth of bed or by scratching.
- Herpes circinate in isolated spots.
- Itching; not relieved by scratching; worse in bends of elbows and knees.
- Chloasma; herpetic eruption on lips, about mouth and nose.
- Ringworm-like eruption every spring.
- Urticaria on going in the open air; better in a warm room.
- Sweat on feet, worse on toes; intolerable odor.
- Eruptions on folds of skin
- Obese females suffer from herpes with delayed scanty menses
- Herpes at menopause
- Left sided mainly
- Oozing of watery sticky fluid
- Circular eruptions hard to touch
- Night, during and after menses