The viral infections increase due to damp and humid weather and change in weather makes for the perfect environment for viruses to grow.
Virus attacks us easily when our immune system is low. The low immune system can be due to sedentary life habits, faulty eating habits, overcrowding or stress. Viral infections produce flu-like symptoms like fever, running nose, cough, body ache and throat pain.
The symptoms usually last for about five to seven days. In some cases, the cough can prolong for more than 2 weeks. Severe cases of a cough with congestion can develop symptoms like wheezing and shortness of breath. This is usually noticed in people having allergic tendencies.
Water-borne diseases are also common in this season and can cause gastroenteritis and viral hepatitis like disorders.
So, what we should do to avoid viral infections?
- Viruses are transmitted to the mouth by touching infected surfaces. Frequently wash your hands.
- Use soap and water or alcohol-based hand gels.
- Use separate hand towels.
- Keep a safe distance from anyone who has a viral fever or common cold.
- Drink boiled and purified water.
- Avoid eating out and one must consume fresh food.
- Avoid getting wet in the rain.
Self- Help for viral infections
- Drink plenty of water
- Do steam inhalation for nose congestion or sinus pain
- Salt water gargle is effective for a sore throat
Easy home remedies for viral infections
Flax seed & Holy Basil (Tulsi) to treat cough & congestion
Flax seeds have natural anti-inflammatory properties that can cure lung congestion naturally by loosening the thick mucus. Tulsi is well-known traditional home remedy which alleviates cough & cold.
Step: Boil one table spoon of flax seeds and 10 basil leaves to 2 cups of water until it thickens; then sieve it and remove the flax seeds & tulsi leaves. Add a tea spoon of honey and drink twice daily.
Homeopathy treatment for viral infections
Homeopathy medicines improve the immune system and helps in alleviating the symptoms of viral infection. Homeopathy can be offered as a safe and effective alternative to help patients recover more quickly from viral infections.
– Dr.Vishal Verenkar (MD)